QL Emulator Questions and hopefully answers. :)

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
mystikshadows
ROM Dongle

QL Emulator Questions and hopefully answers. :)

Post by mystikshadows »

Hi everybody.

I am currently using QLay 2, it seems rather good, but I have a few question.

1. is there a better emulator out there that's freely available like QLay 2 is?

2. How the heck am I supposed to create mdv's or any disk image for these programs, if I want to create them to save my basic programs or data files?

Thank you all.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: QL Emulator Questions and hopefully answers. :)

Post by RWAP »

It all depends on what you want to use and which operating system you are using...

I have never found QLAY2 / QL2K that brilliant, mainly because of how it stores / creates microdrive images for files on the hard disk. QLAY2 comes with a separate program QLtools for copying QL formatted floppy disks to the hard disk on a PC - unfortunately, I could not get the program to work for me on Windows 7 64 Bit (although it works for others). QLAYT is another DOS / Linux program which is also supplied with QLAY2 which allows you to create 'microdrive' images on your computer - again I had problems using this here.

If you are using Windows on your computer - you can now download and run QPC2 for free - http://www.kilgus.net/qpc/downloads.html

You can also run http://www.wlenerz.com/SMSQmulator/ which runs in Java

Both of these programs however, are based around the SMSQ/e operating system which is a much improved version of the QL's earlier QDOS operating system - although not necessarily very good for running old style QL software, as SMSQ/e is more strict about programming styles and also allows the use of higher colour / higher resolution screen displays, meaning that software which assumes the location and layout of the screen may get it completely wrong.

That said, some of the older software will run under QPC2 if you set the screen resolution to 512x256 and the colour depth to QL Colours.

For me, if you are want to run older QL software, the best solution is Q-emuLator which runs under either Windows or Mac OS - http://www.terdina.net/ql/q-emulator.html
This is a shareware emulator - you can use its basic functionality, but have to register and pay for all of the functions (such as linking zip files directly, or accessing more than 640K memory).

mystikshadows
ROM Dongle

Post by mystikshadows »

Thank you RWAP

Your answer was quite complete :) Thanks for taking the time to write in it all it's details. :) it's been very informative :)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

He didn't mention just using a real QL, which is always an option ;)

mystikshadows
ROM Dongle

Post by mystikshadows »

Indeed, but I am having a very hard time finding one of those. I looked on ebay and there isn't many QLs like 4 results no computer. So I don't anticipate a great success puchasing a real QL lol. But I do love the idea though. :)

Any one have a QL to donate? lol

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Rich at RWAP Services has tested QLs in stock, and they all have new keyboard membranes. He can also set you up with a good range of starter software and other kit if you need it.

I recommend him based on my experience as his customer.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Yes, I do have several QLs in stock - basically I sell them unboxed for £65 for the QL and power supply - I just need to dig one out, test it and get it ready for sale....

A printed manual is also available for another £5

I have QL boxes also in various states - a boxed QL starts at £110 for a poor condition box up to £180 for a very good condition box.

All prices exclude post and packing

The problem I have is time to get them set up and listed (hence why I have no QLs currently listed for sale) - if anyone wants one, just give me a shout and I will sort it out.

mystikshadows
ROM Dongle

Post by mystikshadows »

Excuse my obvious QL ignorance but what can I do with this QL I mean out of the box, I know spectrum +3 finally had a floppy. did they (whoever) ever make that available in the QL or do I have to buy extra?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The QL has two built in microdrive units - which allow you to store up to 128K on a cartridge - you probably know about microdrive units from the Spectrum, but they are basically a high speed mini cassette tape.

The standard QL comes with 128K memory.

You can add a disk drive interface (with or without extra memory) and external disk drive units. However, at the moment, until Dave on the forums builds some more disk interfaces, they are hard to find (and expensive).

The other alternative is a QL-SD solution - at the moment, there is one of these on the market (simply called QL-SD and made by Paul on the forums in Germany) this plugs into the QL inside (replacing the QL ROMs and one of the microdrive units with an SD card slot). However, this needs extra memory to work - although Dave (again) is hopefully soon to release some new 896K RAM cards for the QL which will be ideal for this.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

RWAP wrote: For me, if you are want to run older QL software, the best solution is Q-emuLator which runs under either Windows or Mac OS - http://www.terdina.net/ql/q-emulator.html
This is a shareware emulator - you can use its basic functionality, but have to register and pay for all of the functions (such as linking zip files directly, or accessing more than 640K memory).
+1 for Q-emuLator. I use this on Mac and Windows and it's really excellent.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves