QPC2 v4.00

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
radastan
ROM Dongle

Re: QPC2 v4.00

Post by radastan »

tofro wrote:You can tweak QPC2 to come a bit closer to the original QL by setting screen resolution and color depth to the original values and using QPC_QLSCREMU 4/8 to have it emulate a (write-only) QL screen at the original addresses, but that's about it.
That is the answer I need, ¿how can I set QPC_QLSCREMU? I will try it when reach home after work. No one of the games I try in QPC2 works, only "Voyage of the Beano" and without graphics.

In Q-Emulator I have an option to limit cpu power and memory to a standar QL. That's the idea.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Some games will not work in QPC2 due to the fact that it is based on SMSQ/e - the replacement operating system for the QL - this means that the screen and system variables are not necessarily located in the same place as on a black box QL ($2000 and $28000).

The fact that the pointer environment is also built into SMSQ/e does not help - as some programs expect to overwrite sections of the screen which do not belong to them!

A lot of the software which does not display anything on QPC2 can be made to changing the initial parameters (hold the SHIFT key down when starting QPC2 if the configuration screen does not show up). Change the display mode to QL and screen resolution to 512x256.
Configuration screen of QPC2 set to emulate a standard QL as best as possible
Configuration screen of QPC2 set to emulate a standard QL as best as possible

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

radastan wrote:
tofro wrote: That is the answer I need, ¿how can I set QPC_QLSCREMU?
Just enter

Code: Select all

QPC_QLSCREMU 4
or

Code: Select all

QPC_QLSCREMU 8
Depending on the mode you want emulated. Don't hang your hopes too high, though, but this way QPC2 is definitely able to run Beano.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

In reality for running QL software, q-emulator, uqlx and QL2K are the better emulators - q-emulator is my preferred option, and most closely emulates the original QL speed.

In actual fact, the unregistered version of q-emulator (which is free to use) is about the closest you will get to an original QL running under Windows (from memory it is limited to 128K - or is it 640K) and original QL speed.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

My memory is different: It will come up with 128k, but can be switched to 384k
And I agree it's the closest thing to a QL you can get

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO