QPC2 - Q-emuLator

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

QPC2 - Q-emuLator

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I am running both of these programs on a Macbook Pro

Now Mac people will know that there is no # key and you have to ALT 3 to get it.

This works fine on Q-EmuLator the ALT 3 produces the # character as expected.

Not the same for OPC2 unfortunately , I am running this Windows program under WINE (through Play on MAC), when the initial configuration window comes up if I select devices and obtain a text box the ALT 3 works a charm producing # characters, however when I have got past the configuration and into QPC2 proper i.e. QL emulation enhanced, the ALT 3 just produces 3. I cannot seem to get the # character at all in QPC2.

Any ideas?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QPC2 - Q-emuLator

Post by tofro »

Hmmm.
I guess this is rather a WINE problem than a QPC one.
On several (specifically Laptop) PCs I have, Wine has Problems emulating all of the Keyboard keys properly. This is not specifically related to QPC, but rather to other programs that read the keyboard directly. When you search the WINE mailing lists, you will find that this seems to be a major problem with WINE - The keymap is hard-coded directly into WINE, instead of being configurable. In order to support a specific keymap, Wine needs to be recompiled. As mentioned above, I had similar problems with other Windows programs and created a custom keymap in Wine for my specific make of keyboard. Now everything works fine.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Just an update to the original problem I had, it has been resolved, Dilwyn suggested ALTKEY command in the boot which works and George Gwilt stated that the \ key on the MAC keyboard actually is the # key, now if only I could find the where the \ character is...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mr_Navigator wrote:Just an update to the original problem I had, it has been resolved, Dilwyn suggested ALTKEY command in the boot which works and George Gwilt stated that the \ key on the MAC keyboard actually is the # key, now if only I could find the where the \ character is...
I wonder if Wine is looking at the Mac keyboard as if it were a PC keyboard? If so, it would be the key between SHIFT and the Z key, which on a UK Windows keyboard is backslash, and shift backslash gives the vertical bar symbol, which IIRC is to the left of the ENTER key on a UK Mac keyboard. Just like the # key you had a problem finding, you could use an ALTKEY definition of a key combination you don't use often on the Mac might help you until you find where exactly WINE maps the backslash to.

Dilwyn

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

ust like the # key you had a problem finding, you could use an ALTKEY definition of a key combination you don't use often on the Mac might help you until you find where exactly WINE maps the backslash to.
Thanks will look in to that and report back