QL 34th Anniversary new hardware.

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: QL 34th Anniversary new hardware.

Post by Dave »

Peter wrote:Problem one: Only a fraction of the I/O pins usually has that feauture.
Yep. :(
Peter wrote:Problem two: A mass-grave of series resistors. In the end, level shifters are probably easier to solder.
I have reels and reels of 4x and 8x SMD resistor packages. If I were going into that level of production, I'd also just get a pick and place machine so they're tidy and consistent, densely packed, and not taking my time. ;)
Peter wrote:Problem three: The required resistor values tend to be too large to provide sufficient drive current for all the pins inside the QL. This is because the clamp diodes are usually "weak", and the resistance must be large enough for the overshoot coming from the QL.
This too. People like you and Nasta know what to do in these situations. I just take the advice/schematics I'm given. ;) Chances are, the Aurora II complete board replacement could be implemented in the FPGA too.

I'm just not going to baulk at a $40 component when a $10 component can do 1/10th as much ;)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

tofro wrote:Once you start to think about putting sooo much legacy stuff in an improved manner to the left end of the expansion connector, I think it makes sense to forget about the right end of it and replace the legacy mainboard altogether. That would relieve you of any compatibility problems (except the keyboard matrix connectors, obviously :D ) You could even go for a full 3.3V implementation and wouldn't have to bother about component availability. Once you build a proper modern computer to the right end of the expansion port, you can also forget any legacy issues with regards to the expansion port itself...
Where is the like button? Why doesn't this forum have a like button?

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

I was used to create animations with 896K maximum... now with 4 MB... :mrgreen:

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Cristian wrote:I was used to create animations with 896K maximum... now with 4 MB... :mrgreen:
You mean 3946K usable? :)

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Dave wrote:
Cristian wrote:I was used to create animations with 896K maximum... now with 4 MB... :mrgreen:
You mean 3946K usable? :)
More or less... :)

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Dave wrote:Where is the like button? Why doesn't this forum have a like button?
Because it isn't Farcebook? Although, I dont't actually know it Farcebook has a like button. I've only got someone else's word for it. ;)

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Good discussions going on here, but I wonder what the end game is.

I think there are a good number of people looking for something like the gold card or super gold card to plug into the original black box. Probably even a few who might entertain a replacement board within the black box. And yet more who would replace the black box all together.

All of these are valid goals.

For a plug in card to operate on the edge connector of the QL, it needs access to only a few key areas...

Effectively - ROM, video memory and keyboard I/O, and if you must - the serial ports, sound and microdrives. The RTC has been replaced by the gold card and super gold card, and also Minerva mkii, although the logic for the gal is lost apparently.

So how 5v tolerant does the CPLD or FPGA need to be? Depends on what it's talking too.

maybe time to resurrect the goal / wishlist thread again?

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Pr0f wrote:<> maybe time to resurrect the goal / wishlist thread again?
Wake me up when there are plans for a 500MHz+ QL, with 128+ Mb RAM, 2x2Gb SD, HDMI, SMSQ/E.. Nothing less would turn me on. Sorry guys, but youre building a horse carriage in the age of electric cars. As stated above, I might just settle for a hand crafted diesel.. ;)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Post by Whopper »

pjw wrote:Wake me up when there are plans for a 500MHz+ QL, with 128+ Mb RAM, 2x2Gb SD, HDMI, SMSQ/E.. Nothing less would turn me on. Sorry guys, but youre building a horse carriage in the age of electric cars. As stated above, I might just settle for a hand crafted diesel.. ;)
PJW,

I have a super GUI system (two actually, one windows, one linux) but I also like the basic black QL. It's the first serious computer I ever owned. It's also the first multitasking home computer. So while I enjoy my 5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, 4GB GPU, 16TB Raided HDD, I'll also enjoy using the BBQL with any and all upgrades compatible with that available in the late 1980's. I neither want, nor need, a GUIfied QL, I have better. I want a retro QL. This expansion will help increase my stock of QL systems and expansions, for me to play with when I want

I am interested in this new expansion even though I have just purchased a Super Gold Card (and am champing at the bit to receive it.) I see the QL, and other retro computers, as a hobby a harmless interest.

You woke me for THAT!!!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

pjw wrote:Wake me up when there are plans for a 500MHz+ QL, with 128+ Mb RAM, 2x2Gb SD, HDMI, SMSQ/E.. Nothing less would turn me on. Sorry guys, but youre building a horse carriage in the age of electric cars. As stated above, I might just settle for a hand crafted diesel.. ;)
See, that's the funny thing. How fast does a QL have to be to match the performance of a 2GHz+ PC? It's so lean and efficient, and the guts are so easily accessible. I honestly suspect the answer would be surprisingly low in most areas. The only three areas we're fast playing catch up on right now are video and encryption as part of modern communication.

I think a 200MHz equivalent machine would get your attention. That would only be around 4x faster than the fastest Q60. And that could realistically be done in FPGAs if people would just co-operate. I understand the maximum possible FPGA configured 680X0 is ~400 MHz equivalent to 68060.

Now, if we ported SMSQ to ARM....