QL Homepage Is Back!

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

QL Homepage Is Back!

Post by dilwyn »

Thanks to the swift action of XorA on this Forum, my QL Homepage site is back, after a fashion.

Graeme kindly offered to host the full 2.33GB of it on space he has at www.greybeardz.com until the IT department here (me!) gets everything working properly again.

If you go to http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/index.html, you can click on a link there to the temporary site at http://www.greybeardz.com/index.html, it should be active by now. I am able to upload to my own site, but it would be a waste of time for me and irritating for users for me to spend 12 hours uploading 2.33GB only to find it's gone again 24 hours later.

In theory, all content is available from greybeardz.com. In practice, there may well be some absolute URLs embedded in the site which directly call dilwyn.me.uk only to find that things ain't there yet. If this causes a problem (non-working links), get in touch with me and I'll see what I can do. I'd rather not make too many changes or site updates at the moment in case it has a knock-on effect when I'm able and confident to restore the usual site.

I am still having email problems, so if I don't seem to be replying to an email, it has probably vanished into the ether at random along with many others - send me a PM via the Forum instead. I can only apologise for the ongoing problems.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: QL Homepage Is Back!

Post by Dave »

Dilwyn, while your repository is the definitive information sight for the QL it is not an obligation on your part.

Stop apologizing.

Meanwhile, I'd also like to mirror with auto-updates. I'll put it at sinclairql.com/dilwyn/ or some such. We just need to find a way for you to get the data to me efficiently. Sneakernet?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Dave wrote:Dilwyn, while your repository is the definitive information sight for the QL it is not an obligation on your part.

Stop apologizing.

Meanwhile, I'd also like to mirror with auto-updates. I'll put it at sinclairql.com/dilwyn/ or some such. We just need to find a way for you to get the data to me efficiently. Sneakernet?
By 'sneakernet' do you mean physically sending it to you on a DVD or other non-internet method? (Not having heard of Sneakernet I took the wikipedia definition of data being moved by people wearing "sneakers").

Any method i'm capable of understanding is fine by me. It's 2.33GB of data uncompressed currently, not sure yet how much zipped, probably about half that.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Doohh, I forgot that as most of it is zipped already it hardly shrinks at all, the zip file is 2.2GB, so the only advantage is that it is sent as one file instead of 5,027 files.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Dave wrote:Dilwyn, while your repository is the definitive information sight for the QL it is not an obligation on your part.

Stop apologizing.

Well for initial upload we could just rsync from greybeardz to your server!

Then you can work with dilwyn for more permanent sync!

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

My connection is around 300 mbit/sec so it wouldn't take too long. I'll set it up immediately I return from my road trip.

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

It seems "QL-Homepage" is partly working again :-)

At leeast all links (as far as I have tested) on my homepage seem to be working again.

The only link, which is not working, is the link to the homepage itself:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/index.html

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

There are still several internal links not working properly and it took nearly 24 hours to fully restore using home ADSL, so please continue using greybeardz.com for now. I am testing slowly and deliberately, because th elast thing I want is to go too fast and cause something which needs another 24 hour upload.

It seems Filezilla can't do an upload of this size and this number of files in one go. It misses some files, corrupts others, thinks some files already exist and overwrites them (effectively making them missing), so there is quite a way to go while I test everything, which is a slow and labourious job at a time when I have no time to do this.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Something for the future Dilwyn,

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgt ... atest.html

You can download and install the suit or just the utility or utilities you need.

This is PuttyFTP aka psftp which is admittedly command line, but handles ftp and sftp protocols, does recursion into sub directories and if you install the entire suite, you get lots of exceedingly useful and secure utilities. Scp, ssh, etc. Even telnet - but ignore the bit about secure above, in that case.

I've used putty stuff for years when I have to use Windows at work etc, it comes highly respected and advised by many professionals.

I realise that with all the problems you might not want to be learning a new system, but it works pretty much as the default, insecure, windows ftp command line does.

Take care.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Do you still have to work linseed oil into it? :lol: