The Future of the QL Wiki

A place to discuss general QL issues.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: The Future of the QL Wiki

Post by NormanDunbar »

I'm back from the wilds of the NE of Scotland!

I've had my first lunch hour since I got back, and I've uploaded a file that you might want to play with.

https://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/downloa ... i_HTML.zip

This is a first attempt at a conversion of the latest Wiki pages, thanks Rich, from the existing mysql database format, to an HTML format, using my wiki conversion program on my github pages. See link above somewhere for details.

If you download the file, extract it and the open the file HTML/index.html in your browser.

There are a couple of problems, as I mention on the index.html file, but so far, other than the odd spelling mistake in a page name ("links" rather than "Links") the missing pages in the HTML version match the missing pages in the original Wiki, as far as I can see.

Now, you can get the latest source code and build your own version and create a conversion file (like printer.dat) to convert the pages into almost any format you wish. Have fun!

Oh, I put the latest source file (content.out) on my github repository as well. Just in case.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

In addition to the HTML conversion mentioned above, somewhere, I've just uploaded a working conversion playground for anyone interested in converting the Wiki pages to some other format. The link is http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/download ... verter.zip.
  • Download the file.
  • Unzip it.
  • CD QLWikiConverter
  • Read the ReadMe.txt file and follow the simple instructions.
PLEASE NOTE: as of right now, it's for hardy Linux users only. I'm not at a Windows PC until tomorrow, so I cannot upload the Windows binaries, but I will do so in my lunch hour, if I can. Sorry.

Of course, Windows users can download the file anyway - it's only 415 Kb. The system as uploaded has instructions on creating the HTML files that I uploaded earlier today.

Let me know how/if you get on. This is a first release and there are bound to be bugs!

Cheers,
Norm.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Windows users rejoice! I've uploaded a new file and it has full details, and executables for the Windows and Linux versions.

http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/download ... verter.zip

Have fun.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

The silence in here is deafening! :cry:

Has anyone tried my Wiki converting software? Possibly not. Oh well.

I see a few people in this thread who seem to have started something with the Wiki, but no news since then - I hope it's all going well folks.

Suffice to say that on Friday I uploaded some more fixes to GitHub for my Wiki Conversion utility, and I created (and documented) the conversion process and such like to convert from Wiclear format to DokuWiki format. DokuWiki being a supported and well respected Wiki system.

You can see my initial results, unedited since the pages were converted - in other words, what you see is what the converter produced in a run of around 30 seconds - at this link, where I have set up a free host system for the QL Wiki on DokuWiki instead of Wiclear.

http://qlwiki.byethost7.com/doku/doku.php

Just be aware that there are no registered users so you cannot update pages, add new ones etc. It's a test, nothing more, but it looks bloody good even if I say so myself. Also, it's on a free host where we get 1Gb of disc and other minor limitations, but so far, so good. I'll be updating as and when I fix whatever is causing a few pages not to be recognised as being present, when they are.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Norm.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Norman, I for one am very pleased with all that you have achieved and the test site you have set up certainly shows its possibiities.

Alas despite the months of notice, nothing has been proposed to take forward any of the community projects I set up and I do have concerns over their future.

Whatever format the QL Wiki is retained in, there needs to be one centralised QL site, with a QL related domain name to ensure high search engine rankings; along with a team of people who are willing to maintain the site and a willing community who have the energy and desire to keep the content updated.

From what I hear, people want to use the QL as a hobby and maybe write software for it, but adding information to a Wiki, getting involved in preserving QL software and resolving the copyright issues, so that older software can be made freely available is not even on the radar of 99.99% of users, let alone having any sort of priority.

My concern is that whomever owns the website where the Wiki is located will be seen as the person responsible for updating it (as has been the case for the past 10 years from when I set up the QL Wiki).

Maybe people are happy with the tiny amount of information on Wikipedia (which gets repeated across numerous sites on the internet) being the only source of information about the QL and making it seem that there were just 200 or so titles published for the computer, rather than the 1000+ which have been preserved to date...

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

It's a test version and still looks good. Yes, the wrapping around pictures needs improving, and some spacing between pictures and text, but given that it's a first trial, very impressive.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Rich,

we shall see if anyone responds!

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that people join "clubs" to do one or more of the following:

* meet other like minded people;
* drink beer;
* take control, my way is the only way, pug up with it or ship out;
* join in the running of said club;
* expect everyone else to do the running, organising, etc, but complain vociferously about stuff not being done, while never putting any effort in themselves;
* being late to pay up for stuff;
* complain when the club folds;
* etc.

I get the bit about wanting to keep something a hobby, I do, and I fully understand that when a hobby becomes a job/chore then it's no longer fun, bug when it gone, it's gone!

Personally, I'm not a ruler, or an organiser - piss ups and breweries come to mind - I'm basically a doer, when I can be.

Cheers,
Norm.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Evening Dilwyn,
dilwyn wrote:It's a test version and still looks good. Yes, the wrapping around pictures needs improving, and some spacing between pictures and text, but given that it's a first trial, very impressive.
The wrapping is easily fixed. It seems that the default alignment of none, causes the image to appear wherever it is in the text, inline, and if there's a short paragraph immediate after it, it will go to the right, and have the following paragraph under the image, rather than under the first short paragraph to the right of the image.

Aligning the image to the left or right, fixes this. This is done by adding two spaces to the url of the image. I tested it on the main page with the "QL on a desk image", and it was fine. I'm refusing to edit anything at the moment so I can see what needs fixing in the conversion program.

Also, my conversion program doesn't cater for image alignment yet, it an omission, however I know how to fix it, and I will. Anything with no alignment will get left aligned to fix wrapping too.

Once wrapped, it's fine as for the text positioning too.

Cheers,
Norm.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Looks good, Norman 8-)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I'm, as I've been rightly told, not in a good position to handle this myself right now. My last heart surgery was on Saturday :| it went quite well, thanks for asking :) That said, I'm eager to support any endeavor. If anyone's interested and just wants a back up editor/fixer/researcher, I have the time.