Quick Start Guide to Xchange

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Quick Start Guide to Xchange

Post by RWAP »

What everyone seems to forget, is how, to some people, Xchange is a brand new concept.

There are loads of manuals (and versions) for this on Dilwyn's site, but we could do with a quick start guide to help new QLers

a) identify which version to use
b) How to install and set up a printer driver (the zip on Dilwyn's site defaults to mdv2_ for the printer driver!)
c) How to launch the Psion programs...

Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Re: Quick Start Guide to Xchange

Post by Simon_Carr »

My apologies for sounding like a complete novice (which I am), but this thread is in the newbie section, but what is Xchange?

I'm happy pootling around with SuperBASIC at the moment (btw thanks for the Toolkit, it arrived today), but what vast new horizons have I not witnessed yet?

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Simon,

Psion XChange was the successor software to the QL's Office suite. It is an integrated package more or less combining and extending the features of Quill, Abacus, Easel and Archive plus a simple task management software (multitasker) and Macro Language into one single program (I'm sure someone will correct me if I forgot an important feature). The XChange components look very much like their "original" QL's counterparts. There is only a few added commands - And I don't quite remember what they were, because after my return to the QL I have, if at all, always used XChange instead of "the originals".

XChange will only run on an expanded QL and was initially packaged together with the CST Thor.

BTW, there is also a x86 PC (DOS) version of Psion XChange - Unfortunately (despite the product name ;) ), the files cannot be exchanged between XChange for the x86 and 68k.

XChange is in the Public Domain today and can be had from various places in various (sometimes patched for use on specific hardware) versions.

Regards,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

monitor.png
monitor.png (24.28 KiB) Viewed 5732 times

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Tee hee - it just proves my point, that we expect anyone interested in the QL to have been using it since 1984....

Some info on Xchange is on the QL Wiki:

http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... ge&lang=en

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:Tee hee - it just proves my point, that we expect anyone interested in the QL to have been using it since 1984....

Some info on Xchange is on the QL Wiki:
http://www.rwapadventures.com/ql_wiki/i ... ge&lang=en
I'll see what Quanta helpline can come up with over the coming months :-)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:What everyone seems to forget, is how, to some people, Xchange is a brand new concept.

There are loads of manuals (and versions) for this on Dilwyn's site, but we could do with a quick start guide to help new QLers

a) identify which version to use
b) How to install and set up a printer driver (the zip on Dilwyn's site defaults to mdv2_ for the printer driver!)
c) How to launch the Psion programs...
There was a few articles about getting started with Xchange - according to the QL Today index they were in volume 15 issues 2 and 3. I'll see if I can get permission to put them on my website.