how to get zipped files onto ql floppy pref. unzipped

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
techy
Gold Card

Re: how to get zipped files onto ql floppy pref. unzipped

Post by techy »

sorry , not so far..............

i managed to get a floppy with qlzip on , but then ......
i need a step by step guide to get all commands correct ( rusty brain cells ) , and then the correct commands to get my quill zip to the floppy

i can and verified the configuration of assigning directories and my pc floppy to the emulator , but it keeps telling me it runs out of memory in line 0 .

so i assume it has nothing to do withthe emulator , rather with me beeing :oops:

techy

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I have just tried this - Dilwyn's program will not work in anything less than 640K on q-emulator (I don't know if the unregistered version accepts this).

DILWYN - there is an issue with your program and in fact the file it creates does not work....

The original unzip program should be about 60K.

However, the SuperBASIC listing (unzip532_bas) says that there are a total of 54230 words (!)
It would also be better if the convertor created a BASIC program using LONGWORDS (4 bytes) to start with, then just oddwords, and oddbytes for the end - this would speed up the conversion process and make the overall basic program shorter (presuming the longwords can be stored in the DATA statements that is...)

In any case, I get an exception error in q-emulator when I try to EXEC the resulting unzip532_exe program - no idea why

Finally, TECHY - there is another copy of unzip on Dilwyn's site, specifically for Q-emulator - have a look on the page http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/arch/index.html - towards the bottom you will find qemulator unzip.

techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

THANKS for your answers !!

i will have a search this weekend , and hopefully i will be able to get the setup right to use it in the future ( so i don't have to bother you again ).

i have found several zip files of old games wich i had in '85 :D

btw are there any rom's files around ??

i will keep the thread updated.

techy

btw , eprom boards will be after 24/okt .

Zx80-1/3k exp.-zx81-16k exp.- Spectrum 48 - Spectrum+ -Spectrum 128- Interface 1 - DIVide - Zx flashcard- Zx printer - Ram turbo - Velleman interface system - Currah microspeech - Ql - Miracle 512k exp.- Ql printer - Cst Qdisk interf.- Qubide - Double 3.5 floppy- Minerva - Ice 1.9 - Ql Usb mouse adapter - Qimi-and much more .
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

There are plenty of ROM files on the Sinclair QL Homepage, including the Tyche ROM which was the last developed for the QL's successor! - some are also provided with q-emulator.

Luk
ROM Dongle

Post by Luk »

To get you going, the Psion programs as PC zip-file, not a QL zip!
Attachments
psion.zip
(230.94 KiB) Downloaded 384 times

schombi
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by schombi »

I´m also having trouble using the unzip program in Qemulator. I can confirm Rich is right that 640K are needed, but with an unregged version of Qemulator you can only have 128K, so once you go for exec flp3_unzip... you get an "Out of memory" error. Any ideas how to fix this? De-activating the additional ROM did not help.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The only answer I guess is to register q-emulator! :)

Andi B.
ROM Dongle

Post by Andi B. »

My unregistered Q-emulator version has about 300kB RAM.
With this it was possible to unzip at least one or two times before the memory error came.
Then I simply started the emulatur again...

Regards
Andi B.
techy
Gold Card

Post by techy »

The reason it works every now and then ( some zipfiles work and others don't ) ,

Depending on the size of the zipped-file ( well in unzipped-shape) you will run out of memory in the un-registered qemulator.

Only option is get it registered to allow qemulator to use the full pc memory-possibilities with a max. of 16 MB.

Even running it in the original hardware will give errors with some files as they exceed 640K ( well , in fact the amount of free memory available after booting and loading the unzip-software in your ql ) .

techy

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

You will also find that unzip uses the RAM disk as a temporary store - eating into the memory - I am sure that there is a setting to use another directory as a temporary store (anyone??)