Problem with Cumana Floppy drive

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Problem with Cumana Floppy drive

Post by jivrt »

Hi, everybody. It’s been 5 years since my last post. Busy with beggining a medical research facility down here in Patagonia. Now trying to use my BBQL again.
The thing is I want to resucitate my Cumana floppy disk drive with the cumana interface. Since it isn’t a pc drive I figured I could use a straight cable but when I turn it on the red led is off and if I insert a floppy the motor starts spinning like mad. If I connect the cable upside down the led is on but no spinning when I Insert the floppy and the led turns off. In both cases the ql returns not found to dir flp1_Image

Any ideas will be welcome. I have two other pc floppy drives but I’m having trouble twisting the cable 10 to 12.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Original BBQL 1985, bought my me in Spain with JM ROM
Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
Uses: teaching my children to program
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Problem with Cumana Floppy drive

Post by vanpeebles »

I wonder if it would need a twist in the cable? I'd love to hear more about QL'ing in Patagonia too!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

jivrt wrote:Hi, everybody. It’s been 5 years since my last post. Busy with beggining a medical research facility down here in Patagonia. Now trying to use my BBQL again.
The thing is I want to resucitate my Cumana floppy disk drive with the cumana interface. Since it isn’t a pc drive I figured I could use a straight cable but when I turn it on the red led is off and if I insert a floppy the motor starts spinning like mad. If I connect the cable upside down the led is on but no spinning when I Insert the floppy and the led turns off. In both cases the ql returns not found to dir flp1_Image

Any ideas will be welcome. I have two other pc floppy drives but I’m having trouble twisting the cable 10 to 12.

Hi,

You need to set the Drive ID to 0 for the QL to recognise the floppy drive as FLP1.

If the drive LED is ON all when power is attached, then you have connected the data to Ground, just turn the cable around.

The QL Wiki has more information on the Cumana interface with links to the Interface Manual.

http://qlwiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?id ... _interface

If you supply the model of the Floppy drive, I will get the data sheet for the drive.

Regards,

Derek
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

My guess is that the cable needs to be upside down.

Try DIR flp1_ - if that does nothing, then try DIR flp2_

If DIR flp2_ works, then the drive is set as DS1 (not DS0) - there are probably some jumpers on that drive to change it over.

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

vanpeebles wrote:I wonder if it would need a twist in the cable? I'd love to hear more about QL'ing in Patagonia too!
Thank you for your answers.
For the pc floppy I twisted 10 to 12 and it used to work. But that connector broked.
For the cumana drive I use the original straight cable but in the middle conector since the second connector is broken

Patagonia is great! Nice landscapes but not a single ql or place to get supplies.

Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
jivrt wrote:Hi, everybody. It’s been 5 years since my last post. Busy with beggining a medical research facility down here in Patagonia. Now trying to use my BBQL again.

Hi,

You need to set the Drive ID to 0 for the QL to recognise the floppy drive as FLP1.

If the drive LED is ON all when power is attached, then you have connected the data to Ground, just turn the cable around.

The QL Wiki has more information on the Cumana interface with links to the Interface Manual.

http://qlwiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?id ... _interface

If you supply the model of the Floppy drive, I will get the data sheet for the drive.
Thanks Derek.
The jumper is in 0 . I also tried 1 just in case. When I turn around the cable If I insert the floppy it starts to spin like mad with a loud noise.
There is no place where I can read a model number just a serial written by hand.
I read the manual on the wiki but it doesnt help much with connectors. I will kep looking for a model number

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

RWAP wrote:My guess is that the cable needs to be upside down.

Try DIR flp1_ - if that does nothing, then try DIR flp2_

If DIR flp2_ works, then the drive is set as DS1 (not DS0) - there are probably some jumpers on that drive to change it over.
Thanks Rich
I tried both dir and it waits 5 seconds and then says not found but no led or sound.
I turnd the cable upsidedown with the effects I described at the beginning. Drive jumper is inbDS0