QL Wiki - formatting links and images.

A collection of QL services and websites.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

QL Wiki - formatting links and images.

Post by NormanDunbar »

Please be aware of the following when adding images to pages. The format is:

{{qlwiki:image_file_name.ext?direct | alt text}} or {{qlwiki:image_file_name.ext?direct&sizing | alt text}}.

The alt text, and the corresponding "|" are optional and may be left out if not needed. I advise putting some text in for page reader devices to tell eyesight deficient people what the image represents. Etc.

To right align, put two spaces after the opening "{{".

To left align, put two spaces before the "|" if present, or before the closing "}}" if not.

To centre align, do both of the above.

To have the image in line, do not put any spaces in for alignment.

Direct means that when clicked, it takes you to the full sized image as per the old wiki. If direct is missed out, you get taken to a page with a lot of details about the image, rather than just the image at gull Suze.

Sizing is width or widthxheight (no spaces).

Width only means display the image scaled to the given width, keeping the ratio of the width and height as per the original.

Both width and height means that the image will be displayed as requested.

Page links come in the following formats:

[[qlwiki:Page Name]]
[[qlwiki:Page Name | Text to display instead]]
[[qlwiki:page_name]]
[[qlwiki:page_name | text to display instead]]

"Page Name" is the actual page name, like "Norman Dunbar" without the quotes but with any punctuation in the original page name.

"page_name" is the page name, lowercase, punctuation and spaces removed, underscores used instead, "norman_dunbar" without the quotes for example.

"Text to display instead" is simply that, the given text will be shown as the click able link, rather than the "Page Name" which page links use by default.

"qlwiki:" is a name space that is being used for all media and pages in the wiki, which relate to the QL. We can, if desired, add a Z88 names pace and keep separate pages and media there,or, a downloads name space for any files we wish to upload for people to download. Etc.

If you need more info, click the "syntax" link above every page that you are editing.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
martyn_hill
Aurora

Re: QL Wiki - formatting links and images.

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Norman!

A couple of quick questions regarding making updates to the new QL Wiki...

a) What is the etiquette for moderating or validating any updates by subscribed members? Are we free to simply make corrections/or have others correct our updates?
b) What is the process for _adding_ new pages/topics or links rather than just updating existing pages?

M.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi again Norman

Another thought - we now have 3 separate but related repositories that I regularly access - all managed by your good self - QLWiki, QDOS-SMS Internals and the S*BASIC Manual online.

What are our thoughts about somehow merging these and enabling editing in the same fashion as with the new Wiki? I.e online rather than via GitHub repository commits, etc.

I had in mind to update the QNet documentation in particular (that appears in the S*BASIC Manual) - following quite a bit of research, Minerva and Tk2 code review and even analysis of the signals on the wire (to support my on-going project to build a USB interface for emulators to speak the native QNet protocol down the wire.) Had the manual been in the DokuWiki format and editable online, I might be more incinded to share the details already :-)

Just a thought - I have no idea the work involved in such a consolidation exercise...

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Martyn,

I updated QDOS Internals yesterday to be the same Dokuwiki version and same theme as the wiki, because I like it, and, it works perfectly on pcs, tablets and phones, and that's necessary these days. So those two could be merged easily. I would probably create separate name spaces for the Internals stuff if we merged them with the wiki.

The Superbasic manual is different I'm afraid. That's my fault. The source files are in something called "restructured text" which is what you see on Github, and the html for the online stuff is created by the Sphinx system, using Python 3. They are not the same.

Whenever someone commits a change, or I pull one, into my repository on Github, it fires off a rebuild of the docs and uploads them to the site.

I did write a document about how to update the manual, but nobody seems to have been interested. Admittedly, there's quite a lot of software to be installed and used. And as mentioned by Rich some time back, I may have made a rod for my own back! Mea culpa! (As they say in Wales!)

My next task, which is already started, is to write a guide system whereby anyone can write documentation in an editor window, and that will create the restructured text necessary to update the docs - all without the author having to know anything except how to use an editor!

Progress can be monitored at https://github.com/NormanDunbar/OSBMUpdater if necessary.

Anyway, if anyone feels the urge to update the online manual, type it up in quill, or text, or MS Word, if you must, or Libre Office, and send it to me and I'll sort out the updates for you.

Cheers,
Norm.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Norm

Makes sense.

If you're happy to make the commits yourself, then I'll forward some suggested changes/updates to the QNet page on the SB Manual.

:-)

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

That will be fine, thanks.

Cheers,
Norman at Dunbar hyphen it dot co dot uk. :D

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Got it dot :-)